You’ve booked your new headshots session. Now it’s time to think about how to prepare.
I recommend getting a good night sleep before your shoot, drink water and allow for plenty of time to get ready. If you are not used to a makeup and hair routine, consider giving yourself a few minutes to apply foundation and a quick style. You’ll also want to pick out an outfit or two! Think comfort, and think layers. Once we are on set I’ll take it from there, I’ll guide you through some simple poses, postures and techniques that can get us ready for your new headshot.
One of my amazing assistants and clients on location for a headshot session.
A FEW TIPS ON GETTING READY FOR YOUR
PROFESSIONAL HEADSHOT SESSION
- When selecting outfits, focus on your clothes that you love to wear, that you feel comfortable in, and that align with your brand colors or professional style.
- Layers are great! Feel free to bring an additional jacket, scarf or cardigan, and/or bring another top (it’s suggested to wear a tank top for easy changing if needed).
- When choosing tops, focus on complimentary neck lines, colors and textures. For example, I prefer a black high V-neck line with a washed out denim jacket. I like the contrast between the top and jacket and the texture of the denim. Other clients will have a round neckline blouse in pale green with a black blazer. Bring along your top or jacket options if you are unsure which would work best.
- Doing your own hair and makeup is great, make sure to give yourself enough time. A few things to think about: I’ve found that foundation and mascara are the most important when being photographed. When styling hair consider a setting spray or style for possible windy conditions.
DURING YOUR SHOOT
- We will use a posing stool for easy sitting shots.
- Most shots are portraits only, above the waist unless requested.
- I may have an assistant with me to use modifiers to control light and help carry personal items while we move around.
- It is highly recommended to wear walking shoes.
- Be ready to relax and have some fun 🙂