Image retouching is a post-production service applied to all headshot selections. The retouching process designed to polish the image by removing blemishes, under-eye circles, stray hairs, yellow teeth, etc., or even remove or change the background of an image.
Basic Retouching methods are resizing, color correction, exposure adjustment, or defect removal. Advanced Retouching addresses more complex edits by request.
Photoshop is one of the most popular software programs used to edit images.
Who does the retouching for your images?
Our retouching is done by the photographer, Erica J Mitchell, BFA and not through a third-party site or from AI services.
Roll over image for before and after! (Desktop Only)
Roll over with your mouse on the image above for an example of a before and after.
The image was previous unedited and shows the in camera exposure. In the final image the image has been lightened, stray hairs removed, removed any blemishes, shaped the face with classic dodge and burn techniques, brightened the eyes, and gave the skin a general smoothing effect by hand.
All images selected receive basic retouching.
This is to address the color, brightness, tone, and cropping of the image for final delivery. Additional elements are for attention to skin, eyes, teeth and distractions such as background elements or stray hairs.
For more complex retouching such as removal of glare on glasses we apply our advanced retouching techniques.
Basic retouching is enhancement of skin, eyes and teeth, adjustments to image exposure, and attention to background elements and clothing.
Some features of Basic Retouching include:
- Exposure and colour correction
- Skin smoothing and toning
- Reducing shine on face
- Teeth whitening & eye correction
- Basic touch ups such as eyebrows
- Blemishes & scars removal
- Background clean-up
- Image cropping
Roll over image for the before and after! (Desktop Only)
For more complex retouching we offer what we call “Advanced Retouching” such as changing structure and form elements or adjusting specifics such as straightening teeth or removal of glare in glasses.
What is Advanced Retouching?
Advanced retouching are edits with major enhancement of skin, eyes and teeth, adjustments to image exposure, and attention to background elements and clothing.
Some features of Advanced Retouching include:
- Adding or removing large portions of hair
- Removing pimples, blemishes, acnes, eyebags, etc.
- Taking pieces from one photo and swapping it with pieces in another photo
- Reducing skin imperfections like scars, wrinkles, birthmarks
- Significant creases or wrinkles in clothes (please iron/steam your clothing)
- Background removal or change of background colour
- Advanced correcting of red-eyes & whitening the teeth
- Adding digital makeup that looks natural
- Creating a smooth “airbrushed” look for toning the skin
- Making you look 30 years younger
- Changing your clothing in any way
- May include face reshaping or contouring
Proof Gallery Selections
After your session you are given a proof gallery using Dropbox with unedited images for you to make your selection(s) depending on what session package you paid for.
At Erica J Mitchell Photographer we offer basic and advanced retouching at no additional charge.
Once selections are made, photographs will continue the editing process and be retouched and formatted for final use.
Before and after side-by-side
Time to select your headshot!
1. To make an image order, clients will reply to their proof gallery email and include the file number of the selected image of their choice.
The file number can be located in the file name in the Dropbox link below.
2. If desired please include any retouching notes with your order.
All images are edited at a basic level, which is the standard retouching amount. If you would like more retouching to your image please feel free to provide specifics.
Clients will receive Large Web and Print file formats delivered through Dropbox. Any additional images are $55 with the usage license included.
Standard retouching takes 2-3 business days.
Retouching, Background Change and Cropping Examples
Examples of different colored backgrounds
Examples of different crop options (horizontal by request)